Ella Sharp Museum

Roofing Near Ella Sharp Museum

The Ella Sharp Museum is a history museum in Jackson, Michigan. It is at 3225 4th Street. The first building was a farmhouse from the 1800s called the Ella Sharp House, also called the Merriman-Sharp House. In 1972, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places. When we aren’t roofing Jackson Mi, we like to visit the Ella Sharp Museum.

Abraham Wing from Glen Falls, New York, bought this large farm in 1855. At the time, it was on the edge of Jackson. Wing’s daughter Mary married Dwight Merriman in 1856, and the two of them took over running the farm, even though Wing still owned it. At the time, there was a small house on the farm. It was likely built in the early 1840s. The Merrimans quickly added a Greek Revival front section to this house to make it bigger. In 1862, they added an Italianate tower and another small building to the house.

By the 1860s, the Merrimans’ farm was one of the most successful in the area, and they were involved in the social life of the area. Three of the Merrimans’ four children died when they were young. Ella, who was born in 1857, was the fourth.

Ella married John C. Sharp, a lawyer who had been the prosecuting attorney for Jackson County and the city attorney for Jackson. This was in 1881. In 1884, the Merrimans gave their farm to John and Ella Sharp so that they could move into town. [2] John stopped being a lawyer so that he could focus on farming. The farm got even better after the Sharps took over. John Sharp died in 1908, and his wife Ella Sharp ran the farm until she died in 1912. Ella Sharp left the house and farm to the city of Jackson so that they could be used as a park and a museum.

Winiford C. Trout was hired by the city of Jackson to start planning the park’s grounds in 1915. In 1916, Ella Sharp Park first opened. [2] During the time he was in charge of the park, Trout lived in the farmhouse for more than 20 years. The Ella Sharp Museum, on the other hand, didn’t open until 1965.

The Ella Sharp House is a two-story brick building with a three-story Italianate tower that stands alone and is topped by a wooden cupola. The front porch of the house is a two-story tetrastyle design. There are six windows on top of each other, and the lintels, sills, and shutters are all made of stone. A solid stone wall built before 1865 surrounds the yard. On the south side of the house, there is a carriage porch.

The Ella Sharp Museum is part of a historical complex with other buildings. There is the Dibble School from 1875, a log cabin from around 1840, and a country store. Also, visit Jackson Historic Prison Tours.

roofing repair jackson mi

Roofing Jackson Mi

Jackson Mi roofing company

Roofing and Lofts Listings